WASHINGTON — The new principal of a Prince George’s County elementary school that was rocked by horrifying allegations of child sex abuse by a teacher’s aide earlier this year has been placed on administrative leave as police and the school investigate an anonymous allegation against him.
Maxwell did not provide specifics about the allegation, which he said school officials received via email. He said to his knowledge it did not involve students, “but that’s what the investigations are about.”
There’s no indication the new allegations against the principal are related to the Carraway case.
The alleged abuse occurred last year and was reported to Child Protective Services May 24, according to NBC Washington. Police began investigating the incident June 20.
The new accusations detailed by Maxwell for the first time Tuesday are the latest in a string of alleged misconduct in the county’s school system.
Maxwell told reporters the past few months have been “very difficult” for the school system. He said an increase in reported misconduct could stem from increased training and other reforms put in place as part of a student safety task force established after the allegations against Carraway came to light.
But Maxwell is facing criticism from parents and school board officials for the delay in publicly disclosing some allegations of misconduct.
“He … announced to the media before even talking with members of the board that we have another incident of potential inappropriate behavior at a school, and it’s sickening,” Burroughs said.
Burroughs suggested it may be time for Maxwell, who became the county’s schools chief three years ago, to step down.