This should be a good year for Maryland Democrats to try to topple popular Republican Gov. Larry Hogan. They outnumber Republicans 2 to 1 in the state, and the party expects to benefit from a nationwide “blue wave” of voters energized by opposition to President Trump.
But the candidate backed by most of the state Democratic establishment — Prince George’s County Executive Rushern L. Baker III — is running a lackluster primary campaign, analysts say. He has struggled to raise money and has relatively little cash on hand a month before the primary, according to reports filed this week.
Senior Democratic elected officials who support Baker are expressing frustration that he has not broken away from a pack of comparatively little-known rivals and concern that the rest of the field may be too inexperienced, too liberal or too lacking in name recognition to strongly challenge Hogan this fall.
“I would have thought that by now, [Baker] would be the prohibitive favorite, but that isn’t happening,” said former Montgomery County executive Doug Duncan (D), who hasn’t endorsed anyone.
- Alsobrooks campaign challenged to acknowledge and return special interest donations
- Fireworks as Edwards Burroughs III opposes Rushern Baker III and vows to eat a box of nails in protest.
- Angela Alsobrooks fails to show up for County Executive Debate in Upper Marlboro!
- Two PG County lawmakers are mum after their academic credentials are questioned
- No Parachute Money of close to a $1Million severance as Donna Edwards calls on Dr. Maxwell to abandon cash!
- Rushern Baker in major water as yet another Scandal worth millions is discovered in Suitland – Maryland.Oh Lord!
- Major Drama after David Jeffery Grogan is busted for beating his wife like a stray dog in Maryland.
- Wow! wow! Forget the previous Interview! Here is more truth about Maxwell’s depature as Tonya Winfield spills the beans.