By Ovetta Wiggins September 15 at 2:03 PM
Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said Thursday that he is “paying close attention” to the child abuse allegations in Prince George’s County schools.
In response to a question about the allegations from reporters, Hogan said his office reached out to County Executive Rushern L. Baker III (D) on Wednesday but has yet to hear back.
Hogan said he is “hesitant to interfere with what is happening on a local level, but we are paying close attention to it, trying to make sure some action is being taken.”
Parents in Prince George’s recently learned that authorities are investigating whether a bus aide molested their 4-year-son last November. Earlier this year, a school volunteer was indicted on 270 counts of child pornography involving at least 23 victims.
The investigation also comes on the heels of federal officials ending the school system’s oversight of the county’s $6.4 million Head Start program, following incidents of corporal punishment and humiliation of students.
via Washington post